Everyday Missions

I am going to pause the regular blog posts to share something that has been on my heart and recurring in conversations lately.  I generally leave the sermon business to my husband as he is much better at it.  (And I panic at the thought of talking to big people - adults- they are so scary!) lol.  Just to note, all quotes and photos are being shared with permission.  Names have been changed to protect the innocent.  ;) 

One of the great things I found while living in Elizabethtown was Facebook yard sale sites.  I know, don't judge.  But since having kids, I have found it a great resource for acquiring needed baby items that are gently used, sometimes new, and for a much more affordable price than purchasing them retail.  One day during the last couple of weeks before we moved I saw a post that made me laugh, think, and applaud.  From time to time on the sites people will offer services or advertise their own business, and this particular ad got my attention.  The person advertising was offering to do your laundry, in her home, for a small fee.  She offered to pick up and deliver.  There were several other parts of the offer including detergent, hanging/folding, ironing, etc.  I thought this was genius!  If you have the time, what a great easy way to make money.  But then I kept thinking...

What a great ministry opportunity.  That person could do laundry for the elderly, or the mom of small children, or the sick...a small gesture for them, but a huge deal for those who need it most.  I know as the mom of a small kiddo and one on the way, laundry is a challenge.  I know that holds true for several of my friends as well.  I once saw this picture posted by a friend with three small children and she now has another on the way, and I know that she could totally use a laundry helper. Not because she isn't capable or fabulous, but because seriously, spending time with the kiddos and making sure their needs are met are much more important.  



Another friend of mine quoted her son on Facebook: 

Mom:  "Son, go put on some decent clothes for church."

Son:  "Mom, does decent mean clean, or clean clean, or not clean?"

I totally understand what he means! Most of our laundry could be sorted the same way! Of course, all this being said, I am not trying to talk you into doing laundry for me, or any one else. It is about much more than that. My neighbor's teenager said it best this week.... Tuesday I heard the sound of a lawn mower outside. We have only been in this house a few weeks now, so I haven't totally gotten used to all the sounds outside. I assumed it was our neighbors or surrounding businesses, and I was mostly right. The teenage son of our neighbor not only mowed their yard, but came and mowed ours as well! Matthew and I were overwhelmed and honestly, very excited. When we took time to thank him later that evening he said something that really hit me, and echoed these thoughts that I have been having. He said "You pastors are too busy doing important work to have to worry about something like that. That (mowing) is something that we (the laity) can do so you don't have to." Ummm....what?! (Can I just pause to say that I sure hope baby D turns out just like him? His parents have to be incredibly proud, what a great kid!)

The teenager was talking about how things should simply work around the church, specifically between laity and clergy. I agree, but believe it should go much deeper than that. This is the attitude ALL of us should have toward all of our neighbors. We should be "being the church" everyday. If there is a way that I can serve you, than I should do it, every single day, because that is showing love to those around us. Many of you are called to mission work, some in other towns, other states, and some of you travel frequently to other countries to serve. I applaud you, that work is necessary, important, and worth every moment. There are many of us who, because of our life situation, simply aren't able to travel to serve in that way. And, I would be willing to bet that many of those who live closest to us have many needs as well. They may not be as life changing as feeding the orphans, but to that person you never know how much that little act means.
 
What ways can you serve those around you? Mowing grass, doing laundry, bringing a meal? What about taking the trash down to the curb on trash day? Or sending entertainment packages (including stickers, coloring supplies, etc) to small children to help make a Mama's day easier? Or going in to the schools and reading with children? There are many every day ways that we can serve each other, not for attention or praise, but because we have the ability to do for others and show them Christ's love.

"Follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men".  Matthew 4:19.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying times...

Holy Week

Whadda ya think?